RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where are the jet guys flying in CT/MA?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 06:33 PM
RCflyerCT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live about an hour a way and work close to there. You are right about the runway...it is about 150ft, but I can now take all my jets (Hawk, Elan, Scorpion, and Reaction X) off from it...just put the brakes on and spool up the turbine, then let her rip..then land on that nice wide, long grass runway that is very smooth. You are welcome to join me one day for flying as my guest..just PM me and we can coordinate schedules.

However, I now do most of my jet flying down in Hamburg PA at the farview flyers...in my opinion it is the most amazing jet facility around...takes me about 3 1/2 hours, but I go down for the weekend or leave early and come back late..it is so worth it.

Another option is Floyd Bennett field down in NYC...I have flown there a few times..the guys are great and the runway rocks, but god help you if you go down much past the main flight pattern as it is surrounded by water and/or crazy thick brush.

thanks,

Wes

Originally Posted by Square Nozzle
Ragtop

I believe the Woodstock airport site is a members only site. So if you are a member I would assume you can fly whenever. My opinion, based on what I've seen and experienced of the runway, it's not the best. My club field is not the flattest either so I don't fly my jets there either. It's 400 feet of grass but never having flown off grass I don't know how much runway I'll need compared to hard top. I fly a Reaction 54, a Reaction X and a Yellow aircraft F-22. We do keep it well rolled but it still has gradual ups and downs along the length. As I mentioned, we have the phony runway. Basically useless for large props and jets. I looked at Wintonbury on Google maps and estimated their runway to be about 150 feet. I also watched Wes fly his Hawk on the video and he didn't use the runway but the grass area looked quite smooth and it didn't look like he had any problems.

New England Jets is just our group of jet pilots from all over New England that typically fly together at events and off days. We are (or were) an AMA registered club. We were flying at South Weymouth NAS last year but couldn't get permission to return this year. There is also Fort Devens in Mass but we are temporarily out of there for security reasons. As I said we are looking for suitable sites and you can't be reluctant to drive. NAS South Weymouth was a 1 1/2 drive for me. 99% divided highway but still a haul to an otherwise wonderful site.

Wes, how do find getting out and back into Wintonbury? I pass near there every time I take one of my dogs to West Hartford for a Vet visit so it's not far for me.

Last edited by RCflyerCT; 04-26-2014 at 06:40 PM.