RCU Forums - View Single Post - Trailers and electrical connections to vehicles
Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckk2
When all is said and done - - -
Found A Draw-Tite Connector Mounting Box P/N 118156 (2 1/2")
That allows me to mount a 7 pin connector With a four pin connector to the receiver bracket.
(No room to use the simpler "L" Bracket)
The adapter plugs into the existing Ranger 4 pin connector.

I also have a 2008 Ranger, and will end up using both Rangers occasionally to tow the trailer.
To avoid various issues that seem to be related to how the vehicle computers are in the middle of things,
I ordered a Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake controller. It mounts on the trailer, and once setup,
is more or less independent of the towing vehicle. The RF part involves the link to a remote
control/programming unit that plugs into the usual cigar lighter. (or not, if the unit is already setup)

Last night/yesterday evening found loose wood block behind one of the front E Trac strips in the trailer nose.
Had to remove a bunch of interior trim, etc, reposition, and screw down from the outside. Had wife hold in position
from the inside. Glued down to make sure that it stays put.

Spent a good part of this afternoon installing an access plate in the trailer floor within the front "V"
1. Hunt down something to cut a 2-3/4 Diam hole in the floor. Ended up using a router, since I did not find
my hole saw set. (Lots of sawdust, etc.) Cleaned up sawdust, take vacuum cleaner apart to recover an object that fell
out of my pocket and was promptly sucked up, almost before it hit the floor.

Installed circular plate with access door. One screw hit a void in the plywood, and spun. I'll have to squirt
some CA into the hole, let it cure, and see if that solves the problem. The plate allows me to drop an extension cord
through the floor, or other things like an air hose , without leaving the door or ramp open. I may build a box under the hole to store
the cord, etc. I'm trying to keep anything like this above the bottom of the frame rails for obvious reasons.

Bought some clear silicone caulk and used it to seal places the Mfr. missed on various lights.
Had to quit for the evening. Seems the mosquitoes came out in force to make up for lost time!

Next, install 12'x6' roll of outdoor/indoor carpet, This is more complicated than I'd planned, thanks to the way the two floor E-Tracs are installed.
(About 1/4" below the top of the floor) I'll end up removing the "base board" trim to do this. I'd planned on laying the carpet out and so forth on my flat driveway.
Unfortunately, the recent storms made a mess, and blew sand on the driveway, then got it wet. The sand will need to be shoveled and swept off, then the driveway pressure sprayed
to get the remainder out of the way. Or, I can go to the backup plan, to lay it out in the trailer. More difficult, but less work than doing a bang up cleaning job on the driveway.

Details, Details!
At 69. I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to crawl around in and below trailers and P/U trucks!
What used to take me a couple of hours in a shop easily stretches into a couple of days in my back yard!

Sounds like you found the optimum solution Chuck. I know what you mean about stretching out projects like tha, I don't bend as well as I used to, getting under a truck used to be easy, now it hurts.