RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top-Flite P-47 ARF equipment selection - need help!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:03 AM
Aiden88
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bhodi11 View Post
I have decided to get my first large Warbird and after some research it looks like the TF P-47 60 ARF is a good place to start.

Motor - DLE20cc -
Prop -APC 15.5x12 4 Blade
Retracts
It comes with the ability to do servo retracts. Not sure if these are any good. Also pneumatics are an option. It also looks like the Eflite electric ones used in the H9 P-47 might be an option. What is the most reliable choice here. or is there a better option? I will be using an ok grass field but not great. I would also like to add a retractable tail wheel at some point but not sure what all is involved there.
A DLE20cc would be a great choice but you won't likely be able to turn a 4 blade prop with it. I've seen that prop on a DLE30cc but you are just asking for issues like lack of RPM on the DLE20cc and the DLE30cc will lead to increased torque on take-off. Go with a nice 2-blade prop. Keep it simple on your first balsa warbird.

You can use e-Flite electric retracts which will likely save you some headaches. Unless you are an accomplished modeler, I'd forget about retractable tailwheel and razerback conversion for now. This winter, build the .60 sized P-47 kit and you can pimp it out and will learn a lot from it.