RCU Forums - View Single Post - 64 Thousand Dollar Question in Pattern Flying
Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 64 Thousand Dollar Question in Pattern Flying

So what do you do when your new model bobbles about in choppy air? Some models just appear so locked, like they are flying through treacle and others jump around dropping wings and never look settled.

In my thirty year pattern career I have had settled models but I've had a few dogs too. My Asyuler is festooned with zig zag turbulator tape and it made an improvement but it's not perfect. I once spoke to a European pattern ace who admitted his solution to an unsettled model was to throw it away but then he wasn't paying for them!

What had prompted this rant is I have just returned from a trimming session with my Contra equipped Oxai Hybird and the air was bumpy today. The Hybird draws nice lines but bumped about all over the sky. Having spent a large chunk of money on this setup I'm pi**ed that it doesn't seem to be the groovy aeroplane I hoped for.

So here's the question, what do I bolt onto it to smooth it out? Tip fences? More turbulator tape? Lumps of lead in wing tips lol? All suggestions gratefully received.

Malcolm