RCU Forums - View Single Post - 64 Thousand Dollar Question in Pattern Flying
Old 06-28-2014, 01:53 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian,

As always, your advice is excellent and while I can understand how incidence issues can affect overall trimming I don't see how they are impacting on the wobbling issue other than that slop in the struts might cause twisting under turbulence loads and that I will fix along the lines you have suggested.

To those that have asked about linkage/servo slop I can assure you that all is pretty much perfect in that department with ball raced clevises both ends and stiff alloy tapered rods. Servos are all Futaba Sbus BLS HV on 7.2 volts regulated.

Regarding wing loading, I have to say that my general perception has always been that heavier models are not buffeted as much as light ones, that is until the Sebart Mythos in both 125 and 2m sizes started to show up in our club. These things are very very light and yet they all look like they are flying in treacle! There were a couple of 2m ones on the field yesterday and I got to fly one back to back with the Hybird and it was light years better in the roll stability department.

One thing that characterises most Sebart models is they carry wing fences. Once I bottom out the strut issues I think I'm going to investigate tip fences a la F3a05's suggestion and the Citrin.

Unless anyone has anything else to add?

Malcolm