RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dirty Birdy ARF
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 AM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TOYMAKER
I see a lot of people like this plane but I have had nothing but frustration so far.

I purchased my kit from a LHD and on inspection of the kit discovered a crushed fuse behind the wing saddle area. I also noted that the control surfaces were all off center about 3/32", NOT good.
Back to the LHD and they reordered me a new ARF. On inspection of the new kit we discovered the same issue with the hinged control surfaces off center about 1/16". They checked another kit there and said I wouldn't want that one either as the control surfaces were off center even worse. Being the optimist I took the kit home and proceeded to re-glue all the control surfaces, problem fixed. Glued the wing together (BTW... what is with using a 1/8" aluminum spar... way over kill. I took out the aluminum one and used 1/8" lt 5ply surfaced with 5mil c.fiber on both sides weights half as much and probably just as strong) and set up the stab and bang...another blow. This fuse was so warped the stab/fin to wing was over an 1" off level. Needless to say I emailed Great Planes over a week ago. No response so I called the tech line. He told me that air support would get back to me... still waiting. Is this a late production issue or has anyone else seen this problem? Seems a bit on the heavy side too.
I have flown these in the past and was really looking forward to having one again and flying in SPA... I may have to find an original kit and build it the way it is supposed to be built.

TOYMAKER;
Sorry to hear about your frustration with the Dirty Birdy ARF!!
If you still want to build a Dirty Birdy, check out the link below.
http://bridiairplanes.com/hangar/dirtybirdy60.html
I have two and they both was spot on with the tail!!
Hope this help!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b