RCU Forums - View Single Post - It was a beautiful loop, all the way to the ground.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Villa
Hi acdii
During our landings with RC planes, there is a very complex amount of geometry going on. The explanation I gave above covers this complexity, but I don't believe many people take the time to understand what is going on. I have had only one or two people agree with me, yet the geometry and the limitations of our depth perception is right in front of us.
No doubt. Sunday I was flying with a SW wind, mostly S, so landing was almost directly towards me. It was hard to determine, airspeed, height and distance. Made for some interesting landings. Had to keep the speed up on landing too or the wind could flip or toss it when it got to the ground. Once I get this one back in flying condition I will work on my landings a bit more and try not to fly with too much cross winds until I know how well it handles on landings. The first two were into the wind, and were really good soft ones(until the right gear caught a mole hole). Nice nearly perfect 3 pointers, nose up, tail just about on the ground when the mains touched, but quickly dropped down once they did. First had a good roll out and taxied it back to the pit, the second hit an unseen hole and flipped over on its back, in slow motion too. I know I hit a hole as the right gear was bent back slightly. It had also been down for a couple feet before it did.