RCU Forums - View Single Post - ARFS + Diluted Interest in this Hobby.
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 08:24 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Basically, there are two groups of RC flyers. Those that get enjoyment from spending months building planes, and those that are more interested in flying them.
When I was much younger, before ARF's were common, you had no choice. Later, in the 1970's some early RC ARFs were available.
The first ARF I put together in about 1975 was called a Cavalier, a low wing pattern plane using a Supertiger 56 and a Heathkit 72 mhz single stick 8 channel radio.

Remembering my difficulties from the old days, when the opportunity arose, I bought a "butcherblock" 3" thick benchtop that is flat.
I used to hate trying to build up wings, and find out that they had warped during the build process, due to warped building boards, and
non uniform balsa. Some of the kits wood quality was so bad that you ended up buying decent balsa, and remaking parts, such as wing ribs.

I was told that the builders of tankers had bought up all the high quality balsa and cork to use for insulation. Seems that LNG and "heavy oil"
required refrigeration for LNG and heat for heavy oil. Foam insulation seems to have become the more modern solution.

Last edited by chuckk2; 07-29-2014 at 08:33 PM.