RCU Forums - View Single Post - ARFS + Diluted Interest in this Hobby.
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just test flew my brand spanking new Aeroworks Checkmate yesterday. I've always built my own planes and in the last year I've purchased 20+ kits (full and short kits). So I have no intention of not building.

I put a lot of work into the Checkmate. Most of it was because it's the most complicated radio setup I've ever had and I have a radio that's new to me and the instructions suck. So a lot of hours were spent erasing the model and starting over.

Then there's the part where I've never owned a gas plane before. I've built them for others but the details of getting it all working was their deal. I just installed the stuff without really understanding how it all works. So that was a learning curve.

Anyway, it took me far longer than the 12 hours Aeroworks states.

But the plane isn't really "mine". I own it. I assembled it. It's a beautiful model. But it's not really mine. I bought it. I didn't create it. I'll still enjoy flying the hell out of it because it flies great. It's a kitten in the air with the potential to be an insane beast.

But having built so many planes - probably more than half from scratch with no plans - this is just different. I don't see that I'll ever see this plane as really being mine no matter how long I own it or fly it. Too soon to really say that probably.

And before you ask, no, you can't have it. It's mine.