RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 55AX - Phoenix 7 Tank Height
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 08:10 AM
tomfiorentino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem I am having is a direct function of today's internet-based sales "order" world which is awful. And despite my best efforts to buy and order absolutely anything I can to keep my LHS afloat, none of this works for me. Plus, it is another failed attempt to supplement my hobby interests with this ARF world because the demands of my professional/personal life require it at this point. In every instance it has seemed like it would be quicker/better/feasible/workable....but it hasn't been worth the hassle.

First problem...order electric retract tri-gear, can't get complete information from sales on phone, so take an "educated guess" that you are getting the correct item. First phone call.

Second problem was "order" shipped without the proprietary Robart extensions that are absolutely required for retract operation. Blackout...nobody knew this. I couldn't examine the part I was about to buy, the sales folks can't be that versed in every single product, but when you ask them to physically check the part for you, they can't because it is sitting in the warehouse somewhere and the only thing salespeople have in front of them is the same computer screen I'm looking at. Second phone call.

Third problem, was that the proprietary extensions are not sold by Horizon. Those come from Robart directly. Third phone call. And even though the tri-gear retracts are a "totally different unit" that are designed "only for the Phoenix ARF" they don't work for that ARF. You can't buy a Hangar 9 ARF and HAN500E special retracts for Hangar 9 ARF and put something together that works, because you have to buy extra parts from the manufacturer. Blackout...nobody knew this either. Another phone call...another order...another waiting game for shipping, postage etc.

Fourth problem, after a few flights...the nose gear wire broke/fell out. Fill out the "internet repair form", print it and include it with the shipment back to Horizon. Trip to post office, postage, waiting game etc.

Fifth problem, phone call to check status on repair of part that broke (you won't get through on technical assistance, repair line etc. the only thing to do is go through sales...THAT line they answer, funny). Naturally, sales doesn't know (I knowingly called the wrong line)...So I figure I'll beat the whole system, take it on the chin and just buy a new nose gear retract so I can fly before the snow comes.

Sixth problem, not gonna happen. Sorry. Horizon doesn't sell one nose gear Robart retract...they only sell the special HAN500E tri-gear as a unit, and the mains are still in my wing at home. Darn...then I'll buy a whole new tri-gear unit...thinking I'll just use the mains or whatever in another project.

Seventh problem, sorry, that ain't gonna happen either! They are out of stock. The tri-gear unit is out of stock so I couldn't buy it if I wanted to! Blackout...no idea when more will be in stock. Silence...what to do now...

Then I'll go back to my status of repair question...oops... Horizon doesn't repair Robart retracts. What?

So let me get all this straight. You don't repair them, you don't think you could break apart a tri-gear set to send me just the nose gear, and you don't have any in stock anyway...with no idea when, if ever, you will get any. Transfer the call to someone who might be able to help me...which apparently is the same line that I can never get through on directly. Sitting at my desk...screw it, and hang up.

Call Robart. $95 bucks for a nose gear replacement. And in the process of that discussion, I find out that Horizon is probably going to send my retract back to me with a note of some sort telling me to send it directly to Robart for repair.

There are other aspects to this that make it even worse but I'm tired. I'm feeling a little better to vent though...but good grief this whole thing is stupid. I just don't have room for these kind of time-consuming antics with such a short flying season and so little time to devote to this in general.

Sometimes the simplest things are so hard. I want my old world back so I can go in to the LHS and walk out with exactly what I needed because I looked at the part, handled it, test fit it etc. etc. Not to mention I got to meet a few people in the hobby and share some stories, experience and a good laugh. Nope. No more. Today it's more time consuming and more expensive, press 1, press 2, click click I have no idea...and 90% of the stuff is junk geared for the quick fix folks who have no long-term dedicated attachment and commitment to anything, much less RC.

To be clear I'm not trying to flame Horizon...really...they are in a lose/lose situation as well. It is too hard to support the details of this hobby and the millions and millions of proprietary products and combinations out there using this electronic world. Those guys are a victim of the same problem, and our paths just happened to cross today. That's all. Really. It's just frustrating.

Right now, I have a plane at home. I have a nose gear at Horizon, who is out of stock, who I got tired of waiting for so I hung up the phone. I'm not calling back either. Screw it. Another couple days of this and the servos/engine/exhaust are coming out and the ARF is going to the gravel pit where it will not withstand my Smith and Wesson E Series 45. No joke.

Tom