RCU Forums - View Single Post - ***CUB BROTHERHOOD***
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 11:23 AM
mnemennth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
Well yeah it may be easy for you and I... but trust me I've had to straighten out 134a conversions that were done by a certified tech!!... that was back when they first introduce R134a, and the techs didn't know squat and used the wrong oils which caused the evaporators and condenser to corrode... yes the synthetics oils made it easier for these guys, but a licensed tech is a licensed tech, he should know what he is doing.

I'm old school, I just don't like change, lol

John M,
Yeah... actually... I know exactly what you mean. I was working as a mechanic in the late 90s, when R134A was brand-new (where I went to school for it), and again in the late 00s (down here in Tejas) when everybody and his grandmother down here thought you could just screw a couple fittings on your R-12 clunker and refill it from a spray can and it was "retrofit".

You have no idea how many $1400-2000 estimates I wrote up to fix "my dumba** brother's screwups". Good thing the shop had financing.

The really bad part is... at first the car manufacturers REALLY didn't know how to work with R134A either; there were a number of OEM systems that NEVER worked right straight from the factory because, as we know, many decisions on the assembly line are made by "Management" rather than "Qualified Engineers". The mid-to-late 90s were a nightmare of incorrectly mixed parts, especially from GM and Chrysler. Saturn was actually the first GM line to get it right cuz they started out with young engineers who were designing with R134A in mind, rather than reverse-engineered R12 systems.

[EDIT]
Originally Posted by John_M_
I've just been informed via PM, we have gone off topic again... so on that note, lets bring it back on topic; any freon powered piper cubs out there?... I think I'm going to convert my co2 powered piper to run on R22. ... mnem ??

John M
What? No Cubs ever had AC retrofit in them?

[/EDIT]

mnem
RIP, Saturn. You were the best of GM; that's why you had to be sacrificed on the altar of Corporate Greed.

Last edited by mnemennth; 08-05-2014 at 11:27 AM.