RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking into new radio. Need opinions on Futaba 10JA and 10CAG specifically
Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Sky Surfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking into new radio. Need opinions on Futaba 10JA and 10CAG specifically

Hey all,
How are you all doing? I recently got back into the hobby by assembling a big stick 60 with an OS 91 w/pump. I'm having fun so far, but I'm seriously putting some thought into replacing my 9CAG radio with the new 10JA. It's either that or get the module for my 9C and just stick with that. The only thing that doesn't impress me about the 10J is that it doesn't come with batteries lol! I've thought about the 10CAG as well, but the cost of the 10J is way more affordable. I've been looking for reviews on the 10J, but I haven't been able to find any. Not real reviews anyways. Not from real people who've used the radio.
The questions I have are this: Would I be better off just getting the module for my 9C and going with that instead? I know how hard it is to order parts for the 9C, when I had to go through backorder just to get a new antenna it was a pain. Cost is a factor too. Buying a whole new radio means new recievers for all of my planes, etc. Also, would I be able to transfer the memories from my 9C to the new 10J radio or 10C radio if I chose to go that route? Everyone at my club has Spectrum or other brands of 24meg radios. No one at the club has much to say about Futaba radios, so I'm coming up a blank as far as info on Futaba radios, especially the 10J. When I first started in the hobby I used JR radios, first a simple 4 channel, then JR's 72meg 8 channel, whatever it's called. I found the 8 channel ok, but it was so complicated to program that I sold it and got my 9C, which I found much simpler to set up my planes on. I'm a sport pilot, so I really don't need a premier radio. I felt my 9C was perfect for me, but I really need to get into 24meg if I can. maybe I'll just go with the module for my 9C and invest in a Saito 120 for the Edge 540T that I want to resurrect. Everyone seems to think Spectrum is the greatest, but I'm a Futaba fan from way back cause my 9C is just an awesome radio, and I want to go with what I know works. Thanks all. Matt