RCU Forums - View Single Post - Corsair with DLA 128 4 Cylinder Build
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 05:28 AM
flyn2high
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chad:

Thanks for the info on the Freise type aileron. I should have known as I used that type of hinge on my Hellcat. I am going to look into that.

I now see the blisters on the bottom of the ailerons which cover the hinges. The hinge centerline looks like it must be right on or near the bottom surface of the aileron. There are no slots in the lower part of the aileron to clear the hinge blades but there are slots on the top. I can imagine how this might work with a hook type of blade but I would love to see a cross section of the full scale aileron. It is still easy for me to change.

It will probably take separate hinge blades for the wing and aileron which could be made from G10 and bolted using 2-56 screws and then covered with blisters. With the power of the engine I am worried about flutter and willing to make compromises that reduce the risk. I think the nylon tubing and hinge blade method of hinging might be stronger than going with separate hinge blades on the aileron side of the hinge. I am just thinking out loud here but possible compromise could be lowering the hinge point and keep the tube design.

An advantage of hinging at the bottom is that it would be easier to hide the aileron push rod which would be at the very top of the aileron.

The thing of it is that it is that from looking at the outside it is not easy to tell where the hinge line is unless you look at the bottom of the wing with the aileron deflected. I could always add dummy blisters to the aileron using my gapless hinge. What I am struggling with is what the aileron horn would look like.