RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dual batteries into a 92104 10ch receiver
Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual batteries into a 92104 10ch receiver

I was talking with a buddy who mentioned he was running dual LiFe batteries with his 92104 10-ch FHSS-3 receiver directly into the receiver ports 5 and 10 with no problem. This has me wondering as I was taught decades ago not to run dual batteries into the receiver, instead use a "Y" harness before the switch. Considering the technology in today's receivers and batteries is much different than in the mid 1970's could this not be the issue it once was?

What his thinking for this is that when using "Y" harness the batteries are in parallel, and by each plugging straight into the receiver the are in parallel also. His are run through separate switches and he claims this is safer than a "Y" into a single switch as there are two potential sources of failure - switch and "Y" harness, and either of them, being in series, will kill power to the receiver. By running direct to the receiver, if a switch fails there is still the other battery powering the system. This also allows him to test the receiver with each battery independently by just simply turning one off.

Now he has me thinking about doing this with my 1/4 scale Cherokee glider. I need two LiFe batteries for nose weight to counter the extra weight of the overkill 94851 servo's in the tail (rather us batteries than lead), and don't like the idea of using a "Y" harness or leaving one battery not connected. Putting a second switch on the other side of the fuselage for the second battery is no big issue. The more I think about it, it's just doing the parallel directly through the receiver instead of a "Y" harness.

So what is the general consensus? Good idea that will eliminate the potential point of failure of a "Y" harness, or bad idea that may damage a receiver?

Hogflyer