RCU Forums - View Single Post - ***CUB BROTHERHOOD***
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 AM
bigbird3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
Airborne media scale detail, that sounds nice... they offer some pretty extensive detailed info; stuff you could only get if you had access to the real aircraft... for the right scale project its worth the investment... I was thinking a Moki radial, but they maybe too big; I think the smallest displacement is a 5cyl 180cc... or a 5 & 7 cyl 250cc, and then a monster 5cyl 400cc... the evolution 9cyl is 99cc... nice looking engines... now you got me all excited...your heart will be just fine, if you take care of yourself, and stay away from those PB magazines.

Oh, hand making that cowl would be something to watch.. I enjoy doing stuff like that, and use to have the dexterity to do it, but its not so easy now with these old hands... but that cowl is a piece of artwork... there's not many left that can do that kinda hand metal work... no more apprenticeships to hand down the skills.

John M,

Well John, I don't do PB or any other type! The Stinson is going to be thirty plus pounds. The guys with the big P-47's and corsairs are using the 180 moki's and I think I heard of a 150, not sure. Still, it would be just right I think. The 250 is around four thousand bucks! The 400 is right at 6000.! That would be one expensive smokin' hole for sure! LOL!

mnemennth, that cowl was made in sections as was the original. The closeups I have of it shows two and four rocker panels riveted together. I would definately be a 'female dog' to do in one piece!
Krylon is probably in the range of rustoleum as far a weight. It seems reasonable to speculate. As far as how it would stick and be fuel proof is another issue. You could be our Guinna pig. Someone's gotta do it! LOL!
I've always wanted to work an english wheel or hammer machine. What a neat art!

Flyer, I'm not sure that paint idea will work! The screen would just plug up. Spatters are a real problem with any rattle can. The rustoleum just won't clear it's throat upside down and wastes a lot of paint doing it. If you wipe the nozzle with an MEK wet rag it will take a lot of residual off of it. That seems to be a big part of spatter. Also, I have found that storing the cans on there side works better than standing them up. Always spray a few medium long bursts to clear any clots because that is where they seem to come from!
Now, go take a few more asprins for that head ache of your! LOL!
That's if from the bird cage for now.
bird.