RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ply Rolled Fuselage Part Deux - 1/2A " Mini Skorch "
Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Right that.. anything to make the task enjoyable and comfortable enough to have you not rushing through as once it's done you're stuck with it.
I hate seeing flaws later knowing it's primarily there because I became impatient through the process.

If I had a 24in bar it would have been ideal to infuse some worry free consistency across this 30in span, even the 11in bar was worth the elbow grease forming one half of the top span at a time then feathering the two into a continuous flowing wing. Drawing down the shape without exceeding it is the key choice with a bar and leaves in maximum strength not waves or gully's.

Yes lighting is crucial I had 8 lights going a mix of 5 compact fluorescents and 3 incandescent bulbs checking the work as I went along. It is a bit of an art form to sculpt consistency from tip to tip into a triple tapered wing (graduated airfoil in thickness) and with washout makes it a keeper for a lifetime. Worth prepping the leading edge to be ding resistant monokote can hide any other dings .. A secondary follow up with a 1/2 to 1in wide female airfoil template with a strip of med grade sandpaper checking for any high spots or low spots while the wing is on a flat surface gives you extra consistency that will help to hold back speed induced flutter tip oscillation. I had a bare balsa wing explode going over 100 with a brushless motor it was in its second season and had dried out should have sealed the wood at a minimum.