RCU Forums - View Single Post - I'm building a 1/4 scale Cub, which is most scale, Sig or Balsa USA
Old 09-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I'm building a 1/4 scale Cub, which is most scale, Sig or Balsa USA

From what I have gathered it has been said that the Balsa 1/4 scale is the most scale of the kits, I really don't know if thats true. Sig also makes a good kit but is it true to scale. What I'm going to do is build the J3 into a PA-18 super cub and make it true to scale as can be done. I realize there will be some contour changes to the front in order to mate the super cub cowl to it. What else would need to be done is yet to be determined, like struts, in the kit, wood or aluminum and a useable hardware package. Most tail wheels are far from scale as is main gear so I expect I will be buying them. Robart, TNT and Fiberglass specialties likely will be getting some business.

I'm going to get out to the airport looking for a super cub to get the pictures needed for scale details including interior but it's the difference between the two kits that concern me most. So anyone having knowledge about the scale qualities of these two kits would be most helpfull. With the first frost this morning it's the signal to start my winter build, I want ti to be the right kit choice for what I would like to accomplish.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated from those who know.

Thank you,
Leroy

Deleat this post

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 09-12-2014 at 08:26 PM.