RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fear mongering? AMA members with airman certificates?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:00 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fear mongering? AMA members with airman certificates?

I recently looked at the AMA web site ‘Understanding the FAA's Interpretation of the Rule and How to Comment.’ and the first thing I read I could not believe what I was reading;

1. Are you a model aircraft enthusiast?
As a model aircraft enthusiast you are now subject to all the rules and regulations of the National Airspace System, including those intended for full-scale aircraft. If you are a private pilot and are cited for a violation while flying a model aircraft, your full-scale license may be jeopardized.

Fear mongering also known as scaremongering, fear mongering is the use of fear to influence other people into taking a certain action or thinking a certain way.

When they were published, I read with interest PL-112-95 SEC 336 and the FAA follow-up interpretation. I was confused by the AMA’s “The Academy of Model Aeronautics’ Areas of Concern FAA Interpretive Rule Regarding the Special Rule for Model Aircraft” and at the time wondered if they read the same documents I read. I have since reread these documents several times and at no time did I believe that my airman certificate was in “jeopardy”.

How many AMA members out there that also hold an FAA airman certificate feel that their certificate is in any way jeopardized by these documents?

Frank

Last edited by phlpsfrnk; 09-22-2014 at 05:19 AM. Reason: spelling