RCU Forums - View Single Post - D2 vs D3 Shootout October 11-12 2014 McDonough,Ga
Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 AM
shomenda
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry,

Thank you for all your hard work as our VP. I've CD'd (and co-CD'd) the Tangerine Pattern Contest in Apopka over a period of 7 - 8 years, however, I decided to take 2014 off to concentrate on a jet project and attend GA Jets. I'm planning on returning to pattern flying in 2015. As most of the actively involved District 3 CD's are aware, organizing and running a successful contest these days isn't easy. My recipe for a successful contest calls for a cup of good weather, 20 - 30 pilots with at least 20 pre-registered before the event and a lot of help. For some reason or another though, it appears the number of pilots that pre-register for an event after the NATS and actually show up seems to be less than the numbers prior to the NATS. The NATS is the pinnacle of achievement in the nation. After that, all bets are off for the three or four District 3 events that follow prior to the Regionals. Unfortunately, it appears to me too many fellow pattern competitors are still on the outside looking in rather than volunteering their time and experience to lend a hand. It's what I refer to as the country club mentality. Show up and fly. Maybe judge a round or two. That's it! Sorry for the rant. Looking forward to a fresh new start in 2015. I don't know if there will be an RCACF Tangerine contest this December. No-one's stepped up to the plate.....yet. Not to my knowledge anyway. Too early to guarantee a March 2015 contest either.

Steve Homenda