RCU Forums - View Single Post - Model Merchant F-4 Phantom
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 02:05 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this would build up pretty light but seeing the small remains of a TD mounted in front put both in perspective. This plane fully loaded with retracts and fuel would be something you would need a real tuner of a TD to get it hopping.

The wing materials being mostly foam and a few balsa ribs weigh nothing, only the vacuformed edges and wingtips adding most of the weight there I imagine. The fuselage is the culprit here. It's a very large seam length with quite a radius to fill up with epoxy or resin and that can add up to a lot of unneeded weight. Leaving an 1/8 of seam would probably be the best for weight and not try going for a smooth surface. Taping the seam, which is done from the inside, looks like a challenge to do nicely. This one was, but unfortunately there was the mis-match of halves and motor installed to it spoiled the job on top of the entire seam caved in from the heat of the curing of the resin.

I really like the HOB kits and own a couple of them along with an extra set of wings which you can still find. I'm sure there must be PDF files somewhere of the plans which show all the parts full scale.

Last edited by jetpack; 10-02-2014 at 02:10 PM.