RCU Forums - View Single Post - G&L 1/5 DHC chipmunk - diary of a build.
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 12:26 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCKen
Please tell me that you are kidding Tony. After all the work you put into this plane I would hate to see that it's gone to a stall. Please say it ain't so!!

Ken
unfortunately yes she is gone to a stall. That is the result of a to heavy plane. All previous landings were ok but not perfect. But this time I think I was over heating and lost power (not a dead stick) and she stalled about 50 feet short of the runway on a routine approach. The plane just dropped and bounced up then hitting the left wing on the ground shearing it off at the end of the spar. Then a cartwheel separating the stab from the fuselage.

I was concerned about the high wing load and the overheating possibilities of the scale cowl.

Repairs are not in the plan as of now, to much damage and the fact that she was so heavy and the cowl issues does not make sense to repair.

This is always a possibility with highly modified and detailed kits, I know this but it does not deter me. I will say Johnny 5 served a great service in showing me that most of my ideas worked and are good for Angie. I have learned I just can't build without regard to weight or things like engine cooling.

15 good flights was worth the time spent building, I do wish that things turned out better but it was only a mater of time at that weight.
I will build one more in time as a super chipmunk but that will be after Angie.

TB