RCU Forums - View Single Post - G&L 1/5 DHC chipmunk - diary of a build.
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 12:55 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Hi my name is Mike and I'm a Buildaholic!

It seems once the airplane is built I start to lose interest and start another build. I do get around to flying them at some point but its not a priority. Its the building I love the most!
If I stall on a build there is one step in the building process that I always stall at........ sanding. It never fails. If you look around my shop/building area/office you will see many unfinished planes and they are all stalled at the same place, ready for sanding. Why?? Because I HATE SANDING WITH A PASSION. Period. Plain and simple. I just don't like to do it. So when I get to the sanding stage I know that I'll need to take everything out to the sunroom and setup and start sanding. And that delay in getting ready to haul it all out there many times will draw into minutes, hours, days, weeks, months...... Eventually I'll have a crash that needs repaired, an ARF I need to setup, of something else and I'll move the kit off the building board and there you have it, the kit has now been moved to the dreaded "I'll get back to at some point" pile!!!! Thinking of the top of my head right now (I'm at work and my shop is at home so I can't look at what's actually there) here's what's made it into that unfortunate pile. Great Planes Ultimate Bipe, Goldberg Extra 300, Dynaflite Super Decathlon, and a Ultra Sport 60. All need to be sanded!!!!!

Although I may have some relief that might help out. When Jim Buzzeo and I cleaned out Minnflyer's (may he rest in peace) shop earlier this year Minnflyer had build a sanding block that you hook up to your shop vac and sand on. When I get to the point of sanding on my next build I'm going to try sanding on that and see how it does. If it keeps the dust I might be able to keep my projects on track in the future!!!!

Ken