RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA working to make radio control flight illegal
Old 10-19-2014, 03:57 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
((Jon Doe, AMA member without a nearby club since 1973, flying since 1955, and never a problem)) Radio controlled model technology existed in the 50's? Or did you fly control line?

On another note I realized today that the FAA does indeed have control over model aviation as the AMA emailed me a TFR for my area starting tomorrow. Which prohibits radio controlled model aircraft operations with a 32 nm radius of the determined area.
Geez, guys - RC in the 50's. No, I'm not quite THAT old, although I do remember the occasional news item about RC demonstrations at that time. Radio units were HUGE back then, ground-mounted antennas, massive transmitter units mounted on stands. That stuff was a bit before my time.

Back then I was, and still am, a C/L flier - got my first plane for Christmas 1954, had it in the air in March 1955. I was 7 yrs old back then. My first RC plane was the original SIG Kadet in 1973, flying on an Enya .35 and originally controlled with a EK Logictrol radio. That plane was just retired this past Christmas and my new Kadet Mk-II replaced it.

Speaking of radios, that Heathkit came out in 1979.

Most definitely, FAA truly does control ALL aviation within the US, with one very notable exception - C/L. C/L planes are looked on as "tethered" and officially cannot leave the ground. I don't understand all the legalities of the issue but the general picture is that the pilot stands on the ground, plane is directly connected to pilot through lines, so the plane and pilot are "legally" on the ground.

Glad I'm not a lawyer.