RCU Forums - View Single Post - noob with a Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 08:18 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fux
I guess my question is if there is anywhere a good tutorial of the basics such as set up, explaining the different parts etc etc thanks for the reply anyways!
tough question, the list of possible mods is huge.
My suggestions:
1) drive the truck stock. It has limitations but is a very capable rig. Try it in different places, loose dirt, mud, mild rocks, hardcore rocks, loose rocks, sand ect. Note where it does good and where it has limitations.
2) now begin the most common and basic mods:
Upgrade the steering servo. the stock one gets the job done, but there are servos with much more torque and that are metal geared.

Upgrade the steering linkage. the stock linkage is plastic and can flex to save the stock servo from damage. if the wheels are against a rock the linkage will flex when you try to turn. over time, they start to wear out and flex even more.

Add weight. Not just anywhere tho, to the axles or wheels. you can remove the wheels by taking off the bead lock rings. Then you can wrap the rim with lead solder wire. There are also lead stick-on weights you can use there, or on the axle's housing or the servo. Adding weight aids traction and gets the center of gravity lower. most add more weight to the front axle than the rear.

Cut the wheel foams. under the tire is a foam support. You can cut a gear pattern into the foam, which will let the tires flex more and grab the rocks better.

Those are the best starting mods. The only other one, and this will depend on where you drive most, is using lower gearing or a higher turn motor. the stock motor and gearing are "all around" use. On tougher rocks, the gearing is a bit too high causing the motor to sometimes stall out as well as run hot. The truck may even come with a smaller pinion gear for you to use. again, depends on where you prefer to drive it.

After those things, then it gets down to suspension. there are many different shocks, shock setups, and linkages. You can change the wheelbase length, run hi-clearance suspension links, use shock towers that will allow you to adjust the ride height and much more. But there is no need to mess with this stuff until you have done the more basic mods and gotten used to how the truck runs and drives as it is.