RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA working to make radio control flight illegal
Old 10-20-2014, 12:54 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hossfly
I really don't have any idea about Hobby Town. Some years ago I visited a couple. They had nothing that interests me.

As for as Don, some 8-10 years ago when he sold out the first time he moved to St. Louis. I have not seen him but about 2 times. I have a daughter and her family plus a son and his family that live not far from Venture, and I usually get there a couple of times each year. I think it has changed hands several time. For certain it is NOT the Hobby Shop that Don Phillips founded. Actually I have owned a summer place on a small lake in Crystal Falls Michigan, the upper peninsula, for way before I retired from UN-Tied () Airlines which was Feb. 19, 1996. The current hobby market is nothing but simple mail-order an such at this time. Kind of like the 1$ stores now. They have so much junk but it fills a lot of needs. Take a look at the stuff here in the upper forum about Hobby King. People are chasing pennies for trying to save 2-cents.
Thankfully I don't have to live that way, so I don't really keep up with much of it.
Don and I, besides the hobby shop stuff, both did something common. He flew the Fairchild C-123 in Vietnam. I flew it in a Reserve unit in Pittsburg. about 2 years. PA. We both owned a hobby shop, so we had lots to talk about and I did my best to help him learn about RC and all modeling. The difference was folks were shooting at him. No one did shoot at me but probably wanted to. I would like to catch up with that guy again. He was and I am sure still is the best Gentleman one could ever hope to meet.
So "All Modes", when you get your Hobby Shop going, let us old timers know where you are and maybe we can come see you. Maybe you will take over Don's place.
Thanks much for your conversation and inputs. Makes my Day, really!
It was a pleasure speaking to you. Thanks for sharing your stories.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 10-20-2014 at 12:58 PM.