RCU Forums - View Single Post - Noise Questions
Thread: Noise Questions
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 05:11 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
It may help if we knew the specifics. An example would be if you are flying a typical sport Q500 ( wood and foam ) and say a sport .40 with stock muffler. That would dictate a 9 inch prop. Keeping the 9" prop below 17,000 rpm would do well to keep the noise down. Running an APC 9X7 would fit the bill.
The specifics at the moment are a Lanier Dominator 500 with a Super Tigre 45ABC running the S-T quiet muffler. I may buy a Jett tuned muffler depending on how much fun I have with it stock. I have other planes in mind as well, such as an Outlaw with Thunder Tiger 36 Pro and Jett muffler, a Miss Martha with piped S-T 45 and something for an MDS FIRE 60 that I have two of sitting around (I am thinking maybe a slightly enlarged Screamin Demon). There are other planes as well, but they are mostly pattern and other aerobatic stuff and won't be hard to meet reasonable sound limits with.

Originally Posted by combatpigg
If you get to know the local club members who live in a semi rural area, get the word out that you are looking for a place to fly speed. Possibly in exchange for helping out with making hay, picking up trash, etc.
That is a great suggestion. My GF works for the provincial government in agriculture and has made quite a number of contacts with the locals. Asking around about speed flying shouldn't be too tough once I know a few of the local fliers as well.

Mark