RCU Forums - View Single Post - Brushless ESC Failsafe?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CLBetten
Hey Rob many thanks. I'm working with my first electric plane although I've been flying glow for nearly 20 years. My next question: Is it best for battery longevity to habitually fly to the cut off point then store the battery at that state of charge until the next flying session?
It depends on the setting you have chosen for the low voltage cut off in the ESC. Generally if you let it fly until the low voltage cutoff that will take too much out the LiPo.

I usually fly my electrics to a timer and that time is calculated after a bit of trial and error for each model.

For example, I work on not discharging more than 80% of the battery (leaving 20% capacity remaining).

This is very easy on the batteries and they will last years if charged and stored properly.

My chargers will show how much is being put back into the batteries and from this I know if I am flying too long (or can fly longer)

EG. With a new model I will fly for a few minutes, note the time then recharge and assess how much charge was required. From there you can increase flight times until you are using about 80% of the battery's capacity and set my radio timer accordingly. I always try to land when the timer goes off.

Others may have better techniques but that works for me.

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-21-2014 at 09:04 AM.