RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA working to make radio control flight illegal
Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
The difference is I can get toys at any toy store like Toys R US but you can only get nitro fuel or a servo at a hobby shop. I was specifically talking about the Northbrook IL store. They used to carry nitro and even gasoline powered boats now it seems all their stuff is electric. Maybe it's just this one store.
Nitro-based blends were 'the' fuel of choice for many, many years if you wanted to fly ..... but with the advent of reliable electric motors, ESC's and more powerful batteries (capacity and discharge rate), as well as the ever increasing cost of nitro itself due to it's manufacture ONLY in China, nitro-based fuels and motors have seen a tremendous drop in popularity so it's no surprise that hobby shops don't bother to stock it anymore.

Heck, our club used to take orders from members and make 'a run' to pick up 20 or more cases of nitro fuel for the season.....we haven't done so in many a year, as less than a handful still use/own nitro-fuel motors.