View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About Super Tigres

Originally Posted by jrf

Zor:

My experience is all with the Italian Super Tigers. Never tried one of the Chinese ones. I found it very difficult to make the 2300 ST carb work. We used to have an expert ST tuner here but he was not very available, so I installed a Perry carb. Much better, but it would still dead stick occasionally for no good reason. I've never had that problem with OS, and never had to change the carb.

I have also had an ST 90 or two. (I've been in this hobby for 35 years.) The carbs seemed easier to use on those, but boy, do they vibrate! I always balance my props, but I was tempted to unbalance the prop on those to counteract their inherent vibration.

Try a 13x4w apc on the 55. You won't believe the pull you get from that prop.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I understand your experience with the Super Tigre engines.
I also had some carburetor problems but solved it.

I cannot tell where my G 90 was manufactured. Initially I experienced transition problems from idle to max power. I said to myself that the piston-cylinder is nothing but a compression chamber so I took the carburetor apart. I found that the opening where the fuel is drawn into the engine referred to as "the cat's eye" was not deburred cleanly and actually a couple of burrs were loose in there.

I prceeded to clean this up and polish the cat's eye opening. No more difficulty to adjust the fuel ratio and bench tests proved the problem had disappeared.

It worked fine on my Super Skybolt untill I decided to replace it with a Saito 125a.

Thanks for the advice about the OS 55 AX and the prop. I am on schedule to start building my Kadet Senior in early December.

Zor