RCU Forums - View Single Post - "Inspire" - Contra Powered Design - BJ Craft
Old 11-22-2014, 09:22 PM
HerbK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Derek and Mike mentioned I have been flying the prototype Inspire since the Nat's and have been very happy with the performance. I received the plane after BJ put it together and flew it a few times. He then crated it up and sent it to me to take to the Nat's. I put it back together using all stock parts. Some of the stock parts I have since switched out like the Z bends in the pushrods. Trim wise the plane is very solid. I did feel that it required a little down with rudder. BJ recently suggested adding a 1/2 degree positive incidence to the wing and that took care of knife edge trim. I liked where he wanted the CG which is on the trailing edge of the wing tube. The only other change I made to the setup was taking some of the positive incidence out of the T Can which seemed to help Knife Edge. I used his motor mount which has no isolators but the motor is very quiet and the motor mount works very well. I would also suggest reinforcing the landing gear as I had a few incidences and had to do it involuntarily.
In between some much needed rain I have been practicing the new Master's sequence and the Inspire handles it better then I do.A few people have liked the design but didn't necessarily want to use a Contra, BJ said that adding 2.5 degrees of right thrust will work very well.
All in all a great design with a visible color scheme that incorporates the latest thinking on rudder authority, flying stab and the Contra makes it a good choice.

Herb