RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome-the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood
Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Katniss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of the extensive damage to your Zero. It seems odd that both 2s lipos would fail at exactly the same time. Ive had fully charged lipos sit for months and be just fine. I use lipo batteries for my TX and the only time Ive seen a problem is when they are over dscharged. If I leave the TX on by mistake and it drains the 3s lipo pack too far, it generally wont recover. Sure, you can put a charge on it, but then it wont hold it.

My guess is, the HV servos you've got installed are drawing a combined amount of power exceeding the capability of the 2s lipos to maintain a constant voltage...thus your receiver hit brown out level in flight. The discharge draw from the overall servo load was pulling more then the 2s could provide without causing chemistry imbalance inside the cells. Im guessing this as it doesn't seem likely two separate batteries would fail at the exact same time or even close to each other unless the current draw was so high. Or...vibration in the plane could have caused a short....I don't know.
I personally don't use lipos for rx power. Almost every warbird I've built has required weight to balance so I use nimh packs as they are heavier then lipos. It is just my preference. I'll also run one battery through the battery port on the RX and then y-harness in another one usually through the aileron channel. Each battery has their own on off switch. I used to run both through the same on/off switch and merely had them paralleled, but was advised against doing that by another club member.
I don't know how you had things set up, so please don't think Im preaching.

As far as replacement plane....the Top Flight GS Corsair is a nice plane. Ive seen one in person and they look really good in person. My friend set his up on a 12s lipo power system. That plane is so graceful and lands so slow I couldn't believe it. I think it would be a great choice!