RCU Forums - View Single Post - Repair bent or twisted crankshaft. DA 150
Old 11-26-2014, 04:51 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Back in the day I worked at a place called Morgan's Kawasaki in Lancaster California, we had a race team that included a couple of flat trackers and three road racers, I was a part of the road racers group and everything we raced back in those days were two cycles. Anyway we worked on what we raced and replacing needle bearings, or knife edging and balancing the connecting rods were part of it from time to time. This meant a complete tear down, reassembly, and alignment of the crankshaft because the rods were one piece with no removable caps. I along with one other racer ran a Kawasaki H1R 500cc triple and was taught to tear down, reassemble and align using a hydraulic press, lathe, wooden v blocks, a brass mallet, feeler gauges and dial indicators. It is actually a simple process if one is mechanically inclined, for those that are really not and I am not saying anyone is not, then I would just send them to Desert Aircraft, I say this because from my own experience of running nothing but DA engines for the last decade or so, they have always taken great care of any warranty issues and crash issues alike for me, in fact on more than one occasion all I paid for was shipping charges. Something else to consider, although I agree aligning the run out to within .00001" is the s@%t, many come back and bolt a prop or a prop and spinner combo that are not suitably balanced, let me restate that, they come back and bolt on a prop or a prop and spinner combo that are not anywhere in the vicinity of being balanced for the task at hand defeating the point altogether.

Bob