RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scale Modifications to the 1/3 Scale Balsa USA Sopwith Pup
Old 11-27-2014, 12:00 PM
AndyF
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karp050555
This is really fine work. Do you plan on making the controls move by servo? I may come to see the maiden flight. BTW, a slight poll. Other than the Eindecker, which BUSA 1/4 scale kit would you say is the best for a first time giant scale builder/flyer?
Hi Karp,

Thank you. I am planning to use servos to move the controls which will ultimately control the control surfaces. The answer to that question, really depends on your skill level, your interest, and how far you want to go to customize your plane. If you have the skill you could build any of them. I have always drooled over the 1/3 scale J3 Cub because It is relatively simple inside the cockpit so you could go a long way in getting the details right. The way I look at, it the more complex the airplane the harder it is to get the scale details right. I have a friend building a B-17 with an 11' wingspan and there is just no way you could put the level of detail in a plane like that as I can in the Pup. One of the reasons I like the pup is because it is relatively simple. there just isn't a lot of stuff in the cockpit. Now on the other hand, the rigging has a fair amount of detail and it does take some imagination to get it right.

It ultimately comes down to what you like. My other favorite airplane is the Cessna 182 and I have a Wendell Hostetler set of plans and I had a company laser cut a kit for me. Eventually I will build it (It has a 10' wingspan.)

Andy

PS: As far as the maiden flight, I have no Idea when that will be but I have no problem if you want to make the trip to Fort Wayne to see it.

Last edited by AndyF; 11-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.