RCU Forums - View Single Post - Well got a new toy today
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkdv8
My parents had an older one. Had 230K on it I think before the motor started to go.

Also in the future don't look at carfax as the holy grail. It is a great tool to use in purchasing but not always on the money. Accidents are one thing where the insurance companies are suppose to report these type of things but stuff like maintenance would be a little more difficult to reliably keep up with.

Bought a car from carmax before, ran the report, everything fine. 6 months later after switching insurance companies the new company informed me it had been in an accident. Almost $2500 in damages. So I ended up paying the inflated price at carmax (cause they don't sell wrecked cars) as well as the blue book value without the accident behind taking into account for decreased value. Carmax did however offer to buy back the vehicle.
nah I didn't use them as a holy grail
I was using autocheck.com which is a part of experian for my checks. It was mainly for making sure there were no leans, it also checked to see if there were accidents reported to the state, how many times it was bought/sold, and the odometer checked out with what the state recorded during emissions tests(which honestly quite a few didn't that I looked at). That site didn't bother with the service records as I agree its pointless cause outside the service they had done at the dealer you don't see any other as most places don't bother recording it then there are also people like me who like doing their own service on vehicles when they can.

The carfax report was supplied by the lot so that's the only reason I looked at it even.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 12-08-2014 at 07:58 PM.