RCU Forums - View Single Post - BUSA QS Sopwith Camel
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Karp050555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy December 9, 2014 and only 15 more shoplifting days until Christmas! Yay!

I only have two photos for today but they're of where I ended. The basic hump is built, the side cheeks are installed, and have received their first coat of varnish stain. I plan on doing three coats. If you plan on staining the wood versus painting, it's important that you get your edges as perfect as possible and you keep the wood glue free. Make sure your surface is clean and dust free before you start applying the varnish stain. Stain will color the glue but will not penetrate and it'll stick out like a sore thumb. If you've never used varnish stain, remember it's very thin and will run all over so keep your coats as thin as possible. It's a good idea to scuff between coats with 4 OOOO steel wool and to wipe down the surface with a tack cloth before painting on the next coat. It's best if you use a natural bristle brush as opposed to a disposable foam brush and always brush in one direction only. Remember, you're painting on varnish; not paint. I'm actually using Minwax polyurethane with stain in it and it's an oil product so it will be fuel proof. It'll take 24 hours to dry. I also fitted in the lower wing and installed the dowels and nylon bolts. Until tomorrow, keep on glueing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	057 12-09-14.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	2053452   Click image for larger version

Name:	058 12-09-14.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	2053453