RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIG Somethin Extra Build - 2nd Plane
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 07:45 PM
BatteryBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome guys!

My next post will really show my lack of building experience. So, as I stated in my first post, I planned to experiment with some of the kit bashing posts that I found in my research. With the wings complete and basically stock, I planned to get some weight out by building the stick version of the ailerons. I revisited GrrAmps and D-bledsoe pics.

I started by building the stock ailerons first. There's not much to say, four parts, goes together like a jigsaw puzzle. If there's a key to it, it's making sure the parts stay flat.

Next came the stick version. Pretty straightforward. I made sure the balsa was strong but ended up being very similar to the parts SIG provided for the stock version. The density/weights were comparable based on some simple tests I ran.

The last photo above shows the two versions side by side. I tried to build in some strength on the corners. Also felt that using a .25" leading edge was kind of thin. So which design is heavier? Well, based on my scale, the stick version came in at .7 oz and the stock at .6. Being that my scale is only good to the nearest 1/10th, I assume there is some rounding and possibly the two designs are closer than 1 oz apart. But either way, it's not worth it to me to use the stick version.

Unless, of course, someone can explain my mistake. Help is always welcomed.

...coming next, the extended control surface of the tail group. Almost finished. My goal is to start the fuselage after Xmas. That is where all the fun will begin. I also need to get a color scheme going. I want something that besides being visible and cool, I want it to be unique and teach me something new about covering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	745.1 KB
ID:	2057114   Click image for larger version

Views:	1165
Size:	627.7 KB
ID:	2057115   Click image for larger version

Views:	1198
Size:	619.7 KB