RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM FW D-9
Thread: ESM FW D-9
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 10:05 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by zrooster
In my experience, it is unnecessary and indeed (in many cases) inadvisable to fully stall an aircraft on landing. Closest I think I've ever come was a blip of stall horn just before touchdown, but that typically comes on around 1.3 Vs. Furthermore, excessive speed is not what causes an aircraft to bounce on landing. 100% of bounced landings are caused by an excessive rate of descent (VVI/VSI) on touchdown. This can be brought about by either a failure to flare, an incomplete flare, or getting too slow at too great a height and dropping it in. The only time I've ever seen excessive speed associated with a bounce is if an individual either touches down at too great a VVI or attempts an abrupt flare to save it...the latter is more of a balloon than a bounce. In either case adding a touch of power and then letting it settle can smooth it out, or simply go around and try again.

Situations where you would want to definitely carry a little extra speed include ~high winds, cross winds or gusty winds. When in doubt, speed is your friend in most situations. In fact, though the WWII vets who originally flew the planes insist a 3 point is the only way to go, they were extremely proficient at the time which is what is required to 3 point those high performance aircraft safely. MOST folks (unless they're Bob Hoover) who fly full scale warbirds today will wheel them on because it's the safer thing to do (a good demonstration of why that is can be found in a fairly recent P51 crash at Oshkosh...individual had it slowed sufficiently to execute a 3 point, but when he tried to execute a go around he torque rolled and crashed...slower aircraft = more susceptible to torque roll). Same reason one might want to wheel on their scale warbird that they've got a couple grand and many hours invested in...at least until they become more proficient and are ready for a new challenge!
In my experience, model aircraft that bounce and do not land properly are because they are carrying too much energy, generally because they are not even close to the stall speed at touchdown. You do not have to be fully stalled at touchdown, but you need to be fairly close. The maneuver that is the landing, is a controlled stall. There are great writings on this topic, that relate to full scale in the book "Stick and Rudder".

Most modelers are scared to get their aircraft down to the proper landing speed. This takes practice and lots of touch and goes. I do not have to have flown this exact airplane to know what is wrong with the landings I see. I have flown plenty of different designs for 30 years to know how to properly land a particular type. The FW 190 D is actually one of the easier ones, and that is why lately in this thread you are seeing many comments on how good it is at landing.