RCU Forums - View Single Post - Using Butyrate dope ?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 10:16 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to using dope, I buy clear by the gallon with a gallon of dope thinner. There is a aircraft supply right next to the airport in Fort Worth. It's a lot cheaper by the gallon. ($36.00/gal vs $8.00/ 4oz)

I first brush on two coats of clear full strength. When dry, sand with 220 sand paper just to get rid of the rough surface. This seals the wood and silk so that the thinned sanding sealer doesn't just soak into the wood and cause a lot of unnecessary weight.

Then I mix my dope 50/50 with dope thinner and add talc until I get the right consistency to brush. After 2 coats and dry over night, sand again with 220. I sand most all the sanding sealer off. You can see the white talc in the pores of the wood. Another coat of sanding sealer may be applied if necessary. Once I and satisfied with the surface of the wood and silk, I apply another coat of 50/50 clear and let dry over night.

I then thin my color dope to a nice brushing consistency. All my color dope is NON-TAUNTENING !!! Each coat of color dope gets thinned more and more until my last coat is mostly thinner. This allows the dope to flow out very nicely with no brush marks.

You can apply one last coat of 50/50 clear dope to add a nice gloss to your finish to you plane.

I've done this since the late 50's.

HINT: If you are going to use a yellow color, apply a base coat of white first. Yellow doesn't cover very well and will take a million coats to make it opaque. White seems to have a much larger pigment and covers really well.

HINT: Always start with your lightest colors. Don't try to apply yellow over blue or sky blue over black in other words.

HINT: If you use vanilla masking tape to separate your colors, always brush clear dope over the edge of the tape to keep the color dope from seeping under the edge of the tape.

HINT: If you add Castor Oil, just a teaspoon per quart is sufficient. Use Medical grade Castor Oil from the drug store.

HINT: After you remove your tape, you will have a ridge form. Wet sand with 400 or 600 grit wet or dry paper. Then add a coat of clear to the whole plane.

Good Luck
Frank