RCU Forums - View Single Post - ***CUB BROTHERHOOD***
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 07:31 AM
bigbird3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
Bird you mean to tell me you animated the throttle levers, damn, and you think I'm anal ... now you got me thinking, again, lol

You got the 1/3 scale advantage though... btw, I like the way you covered the interior side panels in fabric, it looks very scale... I bet that cub looks gorgeous fully assembled ready to fly.

I haven't written off the use of micro servos, I just want to weigh all options and use what works without too many headaches, space being a deciding factor.

John M,
It was quite a feat John. I used brass rod for the lever handles and flattened them at the bottom and then drilled two holes. The bottom for pivot and the top hole to link the cable. I used ball head map pins for the balls. Just heat the rod and press it in. Flatten the end a bit to create a 'buggar' to hold it in the ball. The cable came out the back and looped around to a servo.
Thanks on the covering complement. Believe it or not, the front fuel compartment is covered too! I used dowel every where to simulate tubing. The black straps, brass strip, in the rear was to hold the fabric because it was one piece thru the corner. It was a buggar for sure! I have designed, in my head, new ironing tools just for such a thing. The trim iron is way large and presented many challenges! I covered the head liner too. There is a forward head liner also that removes to put in the wing anchor bolts. The rear deck plate is removable for radio access, not much at that for my two hands full of thumbs! The throttle plate, fuel cut off and trim plates and fake fuel tank are vacuum molded plastic. Bob Dively makes them. They were in molded panels that were designed with side panels and rudder peddles. They were so poorly done that AMR would not sell or include them in the kit. They gave them to me! I cut the pieces out and used them instead. The rudder peddles were vacuum formed over the plugs and had no back! Very cheezy!
The trim crank is a piece of 'threaded end' 2/56 push rod with a fiber lock nut and bent to resemble a handle. very hard to get those small bends with pliers and needle nose.
The trim crank was threaded into the 3/8ths balsa side and glued. The fuel cut off is a ball head pin that come in many colors. Regular pins for the 'bolts' pushed thru the sides and bent over and glued down.
The firewall is 1/8th ply with dowels split in half for panel ribbing. and painted aluminum! All of the wood in the cabin was covered with fabric. Like I said, quite a challenge with a four foot trim tool! Well, it might as well have been!
bird.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00194.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2060473   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00195.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	2060474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00200.JPG
Views:	154