RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Dolphin Review and Build
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 08:21 PM
MorseAircraftDevelopment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some special notes about the Dolphin Jet

So here are some facts that you guys might find interesting about the Pilot Dolphin Jet.

So the driving force behind Tony at Pilot wanting to develop a jet was cost. He wanted to create a jet that the average pilot and hobbyist could afford. He wanted it made out of wood for easy repair. And since they offer free wood parts this is a plus! I personally have ordered many parts from him for fixing customers planes. It is an easy process for the average builder, and you can also get pre cut covering for a small fee. The other driving force was a jet that was easy to fly. Now most of you can see the resemblance to a L39. That's because it is modeled after the good points of the L39. Forgiving platform, good trainer, and great performance all in one are the attributes that make the L39 a great plane. Tony took these attributes and designed the Dolphin. He just didn't want another ugly wood jet out there. There were five prototypes before the Dolphin came to be what you see today. They worked on wing placement, CG, and incidence to get the best performing jet they could.

Next Tony wanted to address the fact that some will outgrow the "trainer" style wing that comes with the jet. So he designed a smaller wing with a different airfoil that will bolt right in. You literally can change the wings and change the plane into a true sport jet. This is the first time I have ever seen this offered in a jet. you can set up two models in your radio, one with the trainer wing and one with the sport wing. Simply copy your model into a new model and make your sub trim changes and probably some minor adjustments to the expo ect... and you have a whole new plane.

The retracts on this plane are robust to say the least. He designed them to stand up to the beginner landings, i.e. bouncing. The retracts were tested to 60,000 cycles before there was any issue with the seals. Now for some inside news... There is a 12-14 LB version in R&D right now. I've seen pictures and can not wait to get my hands on one of those. Tony has really helped the jet community with this plane. I have not flown it yet so I'm still holding out on my final report, but it looks like it is going to be a great plane for beginner and expert alike.