RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA now recruiting State, and Local Law enforcement to enforce interpretation?
Old 01-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bri6672
This is a 2 way street! If idiots with quad copters and FPV would stop being morons we wouldn't be in such a situation! I'm so sick of people flying these things over kids soccer games, over other people's property, extreme high altitudes of full scale traffic and over crowded places like amusement parks! If these people would join the AMA and fly at approved locations this would barely be an issue! But instead every time a story hits the news the FAA steps up the game. Their biggest problem is they blanket the rules and don't seperate the people following the rules from the backyard Cowboys!!!
This is SO TRUE! Boy wonder "Trappy" and his fanboys... notwithstanding their cries and false drumbeats of "poor me" after recklessly kicking the bee hive over while being warned and asked to use discretion before hand, the entire time.

I have to draw the line somewhere though. I know the FAA are mad that they had to defend their charge to safely manage airspace. I know there are some irresponsible RC operators out there with all the gizmos and expensive camera equipment, endangering the public with city flyovers of RC machines and commercial operations going on with hobby equipment. Many of these guys are clowns and new comers. Yes I know that. They can be dealt with on a case by case basis.

However.

The line has to be drawn at the FAA sicking the police on RC hobbiests - even if just sicking them on us in a surveillance task. Legal activity should never be allowed to be a reason to go under surveillance, as that constitutes a de facto invasion of privacy IMHO. It's a slippery slope and one that can / will easily lead to over reaches and civil rights violations. (Declaration of Independence sorta stuff!). The fun police? It's not just a name to call someone anymore. It's a reality. That frustrates me as a tax payer and someone who enables our society to function with my tax revenue and intellectual talent in the work force. This is not cool, and if it comes to pass, it will be intolerable in principle.