RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to offer guidance to a friend who thinks he has RC figured out
Old 01-18-2015, 04:14 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Neighbor across the street has no RC experience, but he has gotten interested because of seeing my planes. A few weeks ago, he said he had seen a Cub at the hobby shop he was going to get. I advised him that Cubs are neat planes (I have one), but are not for beginners because of their aerodynamic quirks and sensitive ground handling. Then he changed the subject. Last night, he had gone back and gotten excited about an F14 EDF that he had decided to get. Obviously, that's even worse than the Cub. I tried to be as gentle as I could to say that jets require some fairly well developed flying skills, not to mention that the smaller ones are hard to see. I told him about several guys I had seen at the club with EDFs like the one he was describing taking them home in trash bags because they weren't ready, some of which were guys who had been sport flying for a few years. I then suggested the Eflite Apprentice as a suitable beginner's plane. He looked a little annoyed that I didn't affirm his choice and changed the subject again. The guy is a bit of an imbecile who doesn't think about the consequences of his actions, acts a lot like Private Pyle from "Full Metal Jacket" except less crazy.

So how do you guys handle these conversations? I care more about the friendship than the poor unsuspecting planes he's going to crash, but I'd also like to be a friend and help him out.
That is a tough one Jester and I can sympathise, I had a neighbour exactly the same when I lived in Perth and he used to watch me fly every day. He started to show more interest and asked me to teach him. I gave him a few basics with my planes but suggested he needs a trainer and his own radio.

We spent two hours online and I showed him exactly what to buy and he wrote it all down carefully.

Two weeks later his new EDF F35 jet arrives - to make things worse, it was a really terrible model and severely underpowered. I took one look at it and knew it would be a disaster. I offered to build it for him and test fly.. the next day he turns up with it built.. including 1 cm gaps in all the control surfaces. I just had to tell him straight that the plane was a bad choice and was totally unsuitable and I would be lucky to be able to fly it myself (we never did)

You have the experience and willingness to help him and by taking your advice he could make a success of it. But if he doesn't listen, there is not much else you can do except politely give a few pointers.

Perhaps also encourage him to try a simulator first?

If all else fails, let him watch this video. (an oldie but a goodie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx5Es0bnulM

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-18-2015 at 04:20 AM.