RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the builders gone
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stikum
The most valuable thing we have is time. We only get so much - and we don't get to know when it will end.

If you were suddenly taken ill, and the doctor came in and told you that you only had three or four weeks left to live, how many of you would rush home to finish that scale model?

How many hundreds of hours did you spend creating the last beautiful model that you crashed on it's maiden flight?

How many of us have denied our loved ones time to go work on our toy airplanes?

I enjoyed building, too - many nights way too late. Sure, I wasn't out at a bar cheating on my wife - I was at a bench, cheating her out of time.

Sorry if that stings a little....
Building may be THE hobby for many of us. I would rather build than fly. My dad and I built everything together. Rockets, plastic models, railroads, along with construction projects around the house. No family time was lost because of our hobbies. That is why it is important to pair up with someone that will enjoy the hobbies with you. I love traveling to contests. So for me, flying is preparing for competition. The girls in my life have always loved the trips as well. The hotels, restaurants, new friends you make etc. That is what this hobby is for me. Building, and competition. It has introduced me to some of the best friends and people I have met from any other facet of my life.