RCU Forums - View Single Post - Winter is here.
Thread: Winter is here.
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 12:54 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by serious power
Hi Jim,
In 'normal' mode I set low rate so that I can only just gently lift the nose in KE with rudder. In other words if I am a little late (behind the model) with rudder application I have enough rudder power to recover a slightly dropping line.
This is not enough to do the KE humpty in all conditions. So in 'normal' mode I select a high rate rudder for this manoeuvre.
For stall turns and spins I have all the rudder that I can get. I use this especially in spins and most of it in stall turns. Again if my timing is a little late I will bring it all in to execute the stall turn. For spins I use little (or no) aileron. Maybe just leaning on the stick a little.
My model is put away as 'Winter IS here' , so I cannot take measurements for you.
However this will be very close.;
Normal mode rud,, throw ; 8mm each way. Say 40% expo
Normal mode high rate rud, throw ; 12 to 14mm each way. Say 55% expo maybe 60% (I use this for the humpty only.)
Stall mode ; All that is available. Say 70 to 80% expo and this 'high rate' is only active at low throttle (say the bottom 20% of stick travel - though this is tricky to learn)

I use modes as i can have multiple subtle differences between modes.
The thing with remembering the switches will take a while but it comes in time and with practice. Memory works by association so once your mind starts to associate mode with manoeuvre you'll be sorted.
I have a 3 position switch on the top of my throttle stick. (I don't think holding down a stick top push button while trying to manipulate the stick would be good.)
This has ; Normal mode, roll mode and stall mode.
I use the roll mode for the long horizontal rolls/roll combos. These, typically, are critically judged and I use this mode to limit throttle range and to set mixes specifically for the KE components. I also use reduced aileron and elevator in this mode, again 'just enough'.

Brian
Hi Brian,
This has turned out to be an enlightening conversation for me. I can't thank you enough. I believe you have saved me a lot of time. When you only fly once a week it takes a long time to get a new plane sorted out. My low rate setting was about the same as your normal high rate setting. Yes it did the knife edge loop but I must admit there were a few times I said to myself during rolls on 45 degree lines that I'd be better off not using rudder. I never would have guessed how little rudder would be optimum for normal flight.

I decided to set up a three position rate switch for now using your data until I get the right amount of throw for each condition. Eventually I think I'll make an auto stall mode using logic switches (less than x% throttle and greater than x% rudder).

I love this stuff, Jim