RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 05:48 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those interested in using MEKP. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide) my advise is DON'T!!!!!!!

It was supplied as the hardener liquid for polyester resins and only took a drop or two incorrect ratio to seriously affect curing times. Also, that curing was exothermic. Add too much and it could become, as Catherine Zeta Jones says, "Very Vigorous".

In aviation college we were doing vacuum bagging and before getting into it had the WHMIS course. Pretty nasty stuff.

First off, if ANY gets in your eyes and is not washed off immediately, and I mean RIGHT NOW, (if memory serves, we were told a max of 10 seconds) you would suffer loss of sight. The time between exposure and cleansing was directly proportional to the span before that end result.

The second and more insidious is exposure to Ketone. This can be absorbed and will never clear out. Again going for memory, but as with lots of other allergens or toxins, once you hit a threshold you can suddenly suffer severe side effects and likely show symptoms even when exposed to other compounds or chemicals.

Back to mounting; I often use the separate composite beam mounts as they offer a greater range of engine choices. I have had some interference issues with the HS needle and aftermarket muffler, but as long as the mount is not structurally compromised, material can be removed to give you clearance.

Most common problem is when working on an ARF or previous build where there are holes predrilled in the firewall. I fill them with epoxy/FLOX then start from scratch.

Last edited by Cougar429; 01-25-2015 at 05:50 AM.