RCU Forums - View Single Post - cheapest way to know the top speed of my rc
Old 01-28-2015, 04:38 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So ur saying... Even tho the average joe has a phone/GPS in there pocket it's cheaper to set up a speed trap??
how can it be cheaper than free??? Wouldent the average joe just use there phone?

Soeed trap
Stuff that... Sounds like a lot of work...for a crappy result.

fact is u do need tools....
u need a measuring device
timing device and ideally something to mark out a start and finish

i get the sarcasm but it's floored, sure u could measure it in salmon lengths but that's not a standard measurement and there is no standard lenght for a salmon.... So the end result, if u want to convert fish per hour to mph ur still need to measure it.... It's just the same as asking how long is a peice of string.... If I said my car travels 1 peice of string every hour, is that a fast car? Or a really long peice of string?

Ok correct me if I'm wrong but...Im no expert
if ur running around the 60mph 100kmh and over u really need to use at least 1/8 of a mile otherwise it won't be very accurate...
so that's about 200m..... Are u seriously suggesting that u would measure 200m with a 5m tape measure??? I wouldent, no way.....imagine trying to do that yourself with no one to hold the end
And seriously, to get the vehicle up to speed before the trap u are going to need some room to get a run up... I think the average joe is going to struggle effectively controlling there rc car from those kinds of distances.

I guess what im saying,,, no matter what, u are going to need a measuring device... Otherwise how do u measure the distance or time?
and some of the methods like using ur feet is just ridiculous. That would be so inaccurate it's not even worth doing it.
I say if u are going to put the effort into making a speed trap do it right, otherwise it's a wast of time with poor results.

and saying that,,, I think u will find a old smart phone is cheaper that a time and distance measuring device....

obviously the OP is a child/minor, I'm very doubtful they would have the skills and recourses to be able to pull of a successful accurate speed trap... I think they would have more luck using a family members phone or real car to measure it...