RCU Forums - View Single Post - topflite elder 40 build
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 05:58 AM
rammon3

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for the fuselage. I build really quick don't I? All of this has taken place in a matter of minutes
This is where the magnetic fixtures really pay off. I did a couple things differently than suggested by the instructions.
1) I did not glue any formers (including the firewall) in place until the assembly was jigged into position. Keep in mind that the firewall angle is reversed from the plan should you assemble it this way.
2) The left side is built on top of the right (normal practice). Be sure and put some 1/8" shims under the longerons at the rear to keep everything in a flat plane.
3) I beveled the ends of the longerons prior to assembly as I felt it would be easier to do then. I left a little room to sand to the final fit.
4) I did not install the last vertical post (tailpost) as they tell you. I plan to use a Sullivan tailwheel assembly, not the supplied one. By putting the tailpost in later, I can put in the hinge slot while it's off the model which is much easier.
5) I added a filler piece of basswood at the rear and made a new gusset plate for the Sullivan tailwheel. See pics.

The beauty of this fixturing system is you can remove things to make adjustments or whatever, and they'll go right back where they were when you put them back.