RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the builders gone
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 07:43 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
So completely true and on point. The elitism shown sometimes is disheartening. If you fly and love the hobby, who cares.
The title of the thread is " Where have all the builders gone" , some have tried to turn it into an ARF bash but for the most part it has stayed civil. I think it is fair to say most R/C flyers these day fly ARF's. Not a thing wrong with it IMO. Like I have stated before I own a couple.

Now as a builder I take a lot of pride in my planes that I have built and I put an extreme amount of time and effort into them. I am proud to pull them out of the trailer and fly at the club field. On the other hand I do not look down upon anyone at the field flying an ARF. I don't think I would be welcome at the club if I did as there are only about 3 or 4 builders in the club out of 38 members. I think a lot of it is some guys feel inferior not the other way around.

I am getting ready to buy my 7yr old grandson an ARF. He soloed at 5yrs old and has 2 full flying seasons under his belt and has yet to crash a plane. I still don't think he is quite ready to help build yet and or appreciate the amount of work that goes into a build for me to just hand one over.

Building is a totally separate part of the hobby from flying. some participate some do not. I do feel that everyone should at least give it a try once if possible. It can be a very relaxing and rewarding experience.

A few pics of labors of love.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Field 014.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	2069347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Waco 315.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	587.6 KB
ID:	2069354   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished 002.JPG
Views:	44