RCU Forums - View Single Post - Installing ailerons on a Sig Kadet Senior plus how much dyhedral - in degrees
Old 02-03-2015, 02:43 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tom First I have been a major booster of Senior Cadets for a long time and I have built a fair number of diverse Kit bashes and currently have five flying. They include: a standard trainer with ailerons and powered with an OS AX .35, its a working airplane and flew this one today. A four engine version with four OS .25FX, its been very successful for almost 19 years now. A single float cross country Cadet with a gallon of fuel, extended wing and area that has had a static flight of just over 6 hours. A twin engine version that is a chameleon and in minutes the engines are dropped off and the glider version is aerotowed into the air by another airplane. Lets see one more a giant version and greatly enlarged version on floats around 98 inchs or so. This wonderful old bird was gifted to me from a friend and is about 25 years old. Just one more that is well under the way and currently on the table is bi-powered one OS 55AX/one Graupner T-500 turbine. Also bi- controlled will be flown both controlline and RC.

OK got all that out of way and back to your question, I have found the fellows and myself are happiest when adding ailerons to a Senior with roughly one half of the indicated stock dihedral of the kit version. In other words the stock is six inchs at one tip and anywhere around three inchs at one tip is perfect!

Definitely avoid totally flat. If you really want to get wild add about the same amount of drop at the tips as most would use in dihedral . In other use words use about the about three inchs of drop (anhedral) instead of dihedral. this will provide an almost totally neutral roll response as possible and a magnificient aerobat. Seldom ever done as most don,t have the courage those that do are quite surprised in a good way.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Senior Kaydet Catalina Wing (6).JPG
Views:	2466
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2070156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Senior Kaydet Catalina Wing (10).JPG
Views:	3597
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	2070159  

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 02-03-2015 at 02:49 PM.