RCU Forums - View Single Post - Installing ailerons on a Sig Kadet Senior plus how much dyhedral - in degrees
Old 02-05-2015, 05:00 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 again John, as usual your comments are right on. I've done similar experiments with high wing planes with the same results.
Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
The idea steve with the high wing cabin type is to completely remove all the self righting effects of dihedral so that roll response is completely neutral. This is that elusive stays where you put literally tendency and what Al Gunn posted above about dihedral is quite right. A totally flat wing on on a low winger moves away from that neutral point. For a low wing to acheve that neutral some degree of dihedral or dihedral effect is necessary and of course a midwing with a flat wing is already close to the neural point.

Yes Al gunn I you are quite right about the low wingers. That gentlemans picture of his low winger I posted above worked out very well but he had built one before that with a flat wing. I had done the initial test flying on both and the flat wing original was terrible being unable to stabilize in level flight constantly falling off in both directions. The second ships with three inchs dihedral each side at the tips made all the difference in the world and become a very pleasant flyer. That ship has even piggy backed 118 inch eight pounds gliders quite stabile and a pleasant roll response.

John